OpenFolio Distribution

Submitted by Drupalguy on Fri, 01/15/2016 - 19:01

OpenFolio Distribution

OpenFolio is a distribution I first tried out about 18 months ago.  I wanted to share a lot of pictures I was taking at events so I took a look at what Drupal had to offer.  OpenFolio is a package dedicated to displaying photos so I tried it out.  

I had the normal difficulties a Drupal beginner has with an unfamiliar distribution and had issues with it.  Most og the functionality worked but I was running into a lot of instances where the gallery would skip over displaying several of the thumbnails and after playing with is I abandoned the project after having uploaded about 400 photoes to it. There were also several other instances of trouble but that was so long agin I have forgotten them,

Fast forward to about a month ago.  I now have a new, more powerful server.  The website was still installed and functioning (it was restored with everything else when I migrated to the new server).  I enabled the website and took a look at it and discovered to my pleasant surprise that ALL the thumbnails display completely.  My interest renewed I begin the process of upgrading from Drupal 7.30 to 7.41 and then upgrading all the modules. 

I go back to and discover that this distribution apparently has been abandoned because the last update to the distribution was back in August, 2013.  Because of the hiearcy of Drupal (my understanding), I cannot update the modules under the Project folder I decided to copy all the modules from the project folder to the sites/all/modules folder.  That way when I run 'drush up' it will update all the modules there and drupal will bypass the out-of-date project modules and update the sites modules.  Of course I'm taking a chance of a problem cropping up because of this, but you gotta do what you gotta do, and if there is a problem I guess I'll have to roll up my sleeves and will have to work to corect it myself (and then gain more experience from the episode).  Of course one should NEVER upgrade a production site without testing the upgrade first. I did the upgrade and luckily the dev site worked fine so I then did the upgrade on the production site successfully.  

My next task was that of adjusting the default theme, adding more pictures to the site and generally making it mine.  This went without trouble and I was feeling so confident that I spun up another gallery website for more personal photos.

The thing to be learned here is to make sure your server has the horsepower to accomplish the tasks that need to be done.

You can view the results at: